Chad Umbel has a long history in the Industrial Rope Access Industry which stemmed from his previous career as a welder. He currently serves as our Director of Rope Access Operations and has gained well-rounded experience in a vast range of construction and demolition project applications over the course of his career. His ability to efficiently manage the sequencing of a project, coupled with strong client relationships has proved to make him a strong addition to any rope access project team.
He successfully helps maintain the standard of quality and safety at RIG , by striving to improve the RIG IRATA & SPRAT Training Programs & Facility as well as the Field Operations by keeping up with industry standards and keeping closely integrated with all of our employees personally and professionally. Chad takes a proactive approach in helping to identify high risk situations and works diligently to eliminate hazards for each project RIG is faced with.
With over 25 years of experience in the construction industry, Chad has developed a reputation and knowledge in the areas of risk management, safety and project management that is critical to uphold the continuity among all RIG personnel and field operations.
Chad holds special interest in overseeing specialized rope access for difficult jobs in remote areas with challenging conditions. He has been an AWS Certified Welder since 2002 and has held his IRATA Level 3 since 2009. He also holds certifications in Confined Space Rescue and has worked with the Army’s elite Delta Force Teams as a professional consultant and instructor in moving fast and light in Pakistan and Afghanistan’s Karakoram Himalayan Mountains.
Chad currently lives in Las Vegas, NV and as a longtime climber, he likes to spend his spare time pioneering first ascents from Alaska to the Himalaya. He gives back to the community by volunteering on the New River Alliance of Climbers Retro-bolting Committee near his second home of Fayetteville West Virginia’s New River Gorge.
Career Job Highlights:
- 1995 / 2000 – Youngstown, Ohio – Apprentice Stone Mason for DC Masonry
- 2002 / 2003 – Youngstown, Ohio – West Lake Projects Ironwork Fence and Railing Installation Project Welder (Gains first AWS Welding Certification)
- 2003 – Fayetteville, West Virginia – Climbing Guide for Hard Rock-Climbing Services
- 2003 – Youngstown, Ohio – West Lake Projects Ironwork Fence and Railing Installation Project Welder (Gains first AWS Welding Certification)
- 2004 – New Castle, Pennsylvania – Brinton Hill Projects – HVAC Furnace Retrofit and Welding Project
- 2005 – Las Vegas, Nevada – Thomas & Mack NBA Allstar Game – Rope Access Welding and Banner Project
- 2006 – Los Angeles, California – Sony Picture Studio’s Wizard of Oz Set – Horizontal Lifeline Installation Project
- 2005 – Las Vegas, Nevada – Planet Hollywood Hans Klok Window Graphic Installation Project
- 2006 – Las Vegas, Nevada – Co-founder of Southwest Rigging Solutions LLC
- 2007 – Los Angeles, California – Rope Access Welding Installation at Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA)
- 2008 – Los Angeles, California – Disneyworld Fall Protection Installations
- 2009 – Earns IRATA L3 / Santa Maria, California – Multiple Offshore Rope Access Welding Installations
- 2010 – Prudhoe Bay, Alaska – L3 Field Supervisor BP Oilfield / Cook Inlet, Alaska – Rope Access Welding Installation of Monopod Platform Ice Breaker
- 2011 – Cook Inlet, Alaska – Rope Access Welding Installation of Anna Platform Leg 3 Ice Wrap in Alaska’s Cook Inlet
- 2012 – New Orleans, Louisiana – Complete Retrofit of Motiva Norco RC-Flare Boom, Tip, Gas Lines and Steam Lines
- 2013 – New Orleans, Louisiana – Complete Retrofit of Motiva Norco Coker Flare Boom, Tip, Gas Lines and Steam Lines
- 2014 – New Orleans, Louisiana – Complete Retrofit of Motiva Convent Flare #3 Boom, Tip, Molecular Seal, Gas Lines and Steam Lines
- 2015 – Co-founder of Rigging International Group / Pipe Hanger Retrofit at Jacksonville Electrical Associates Steam-line 1
- 2016 – Jacksonville, Florida – Pipe Hanger Retrofit at Jacksonville Electrical Associates Steam-line 2 / Buildout of Rigging International Group Las Vegas Technical Training Center / RIG Gains IRATA Operator / Trainer Member 1030
- 2017 – Cook Inlet, Alaska – Bruce Platform and Platform A Welding Installation of Rigging Collars for Ice Wrap / Buildout of Rigging International Group Anchorage, Alaska Technical Training Center
- 2018 – Skagway, Alaska – Cruise Ship Dock Rock Remediation Project
- 2019 – Co-founder and Foreman of Ascend Climbing Gym in Youngstown, Ohio (First ever climbing gym in hometown of Ohio)
- 2019/20 – Las Vegas, Nevada – Project Managing of various Rope Access Projects at Allegiant Stadium Home of the Las Vegas Raiders in Las Vegas, Nevada
- 2021 – Currently Director of Rope Access Operations at Rigging International Group